Thursday, February 8, 2024

Blogging in The Midnight Hour...




 (A Blast from the past from Blogstream 2007.)

So I’m sitting here in front of this screen again, and it's well past the eleven o’clock hour. The TV is going. I’m listening to tunes bustin down a pot of Starbucks, and I’m bored as hell, wondering who’s sneaking around inside this little gray box of mine. And right when I’m thinking this, some guy comes on TV talkin about internet addiction and its damning effects on the human psyche. He said, as I recall, that forming bonds with people that we don’t actually know via the internet, is a dangerous game, in the sense that we build for ourselves a false sense of security thinking that we can actually trust the other person at the other end of this little rainbow of ours. And that we might actually give out sensitive information about ourselves to people that we don’t really know. and he even threw out the word Blog as I recall. 

Well, some of that may be a genuine concern I suppose, if someone were actually that stupid to give out sensitive information to a complete stranger. Hell I know That I don’t live around any of the people on the Blogstream, and I also know what I can and can’t tell people, but that doesn’t mean that I need to totally abandon all sense of trust that I have developed here in the past two years with certain individuals. This is where I come to let off steam. This is where I come to create. To think. To find other people who are sitting in front of their little gray boxes, wondering if they’ve revealed too much to the person at the other end of the rainbow. Here I know where the line is, I know it top to the bottom, and I don’t cross it. ever. 

So with that little part of me that remains tucked safely away and out of reach, here I come. Spirit flying. Wings spread and eyes wide open… Looking for god only knows what. Love? Life? Laughter? Or perhaps it's the pursuit of some twisted happiness that I can’t quite get my hands around in the physical realm. What’s the rub of this place? Is it magic? Doubtful. Is it metaphysical?  Probably not. So what then? What keeps bringing me and countless others back to this place. Every day or so… Starting all over again at the very top. The very beginning, staring at a blank page waiting for the words to magically present themselves in the form of a post. What is it?

Well, it has occurred to me that it may very well be an addiction, but perhaps not under the definition that some people might become accustomed to. Ok now, speaking from my own observations of other people here on the Stream as well as my own behavior, I think that perhaps the most amazing thing about the internet, As a whole, the Blogstream not withstanding, is that it allows the traveler here, the suspension of disbelief. Here, you can do practically anything that you wish. Here you can express yourself, with all of your anger. With all of your love. With as much passion or lack thereof as your real life may reflect. Here we can be Dragons. Tigers. Cats. Anything your imagination will allow... 

I have known Pranksters here, Icemen, trainmen, sea captains and amazing women that I might never have known otherwise, yes I have experienced magic here, and even shared in some of that suspension of disbelief, if only for a second, and allowed it to carry me away from this physical place. Yes the internet, more importantly the Blogstream, has been a wonderful over all experience for me, and other like-minded individuals. The Internet? Yes, it has its allure… But as with anything else, there are shadows here. Where the monsters of the real world come to hide in. Do not think that bad things cannot happen to you here… Oh, yes anon. there be treachery afoot! The smartest thing, perhaps the most important thing about this place to remember is, regardless of the level of fantasy that you choose to engage in, regardless of how safe that you think you are. The consequences of your actions here, can be, and most often are, very real. 

~Scratch~

No comments:

Post a Comment